Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Glenn Campbell - I'll Be Me - A New Film Report

The six luckiest folks in the town where I live were the five folks who were in the movie theatre with me this afternoon when we saw GLENN CAMPBELL... I'LL BE ME Why more people weren't there... who knows? I can report with joy that it was a moving excellently produced documentary of Glenn Campbell's last musical tour- after he had learned that he was in the early disease stages of Alzheimer's.

The decision to make a farewell performance --over two quite challenging years of appearing in one hundred fifty cities-- was not only brave but awesome. I marveled at Glenn's strength in pulling himself up in costume and professional prowess: to give the folks in those diverse venues memorably spirited shows. Of course, it could never have happened without the devoted love of his wife, Kim. She's a star in my mind as she kept his star bright.

The doctors who examined him, periodically, expressed true wonderment that he could still do what he did: play his guitar with the verve and skill he'd mastered, and sing his songs with perfect pitch. His poor brain was hostage to a merciless ill, but somehow that part of it that had served Campbell for so many years as a singer kept giving him what he needed. Nevertheless, by the end of the two years, it was obvious he had to stop.

The last song he wrote and recorded was called "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" and I want to show you those lyrics in their entirety. Remember, this is a man who can clearly see that it won't be long before he won't even have the memory to experience what it is to miss his wife. These are the words he sang to her:

I'm still here, but yet I'm gone

I don't play guitar or sing my songs

They never defined who I am

The man that loves you 'til the end

You're the last person I will love

You're the last face I will recall

And best of all, I'm not gonna miss you.

Not gonna miss you.

I'm never gonna hold you like I did

Or say I love you to the kids

You're never gonna see it in my eyes

It's not gonna hurt me when you cry

I'm never gonna know what you go through

All the things I say or do

All the hurt and all the pain

One thing selfishly remains

I'm not gonna miss you

I'm not gonna miss you

Many may not recall the Glenn Campbell of years gone by. His life was not particularly sweet. The film shows him with his four wives-segments of home movies-and he would look at them with his wife, Kim-the last of four-and ask, "Who is that?" And his wife would say, "That was your wife, honey." Or he'd even ask-- on seeing himself on the "Glenn Campbell Show"-"Who is that?" and Kim would reply, "That's you, honey. And his kids-those from his other three wives... he could not say their names.

Some might say that showing a famous artist with Alzheimer's makes a mockery of him and simply feeds the appetite of an audience for sensational new human reversals. And in someone's hands-out to use Campbell for that purpose-no doubt that could happen. But here, director James Keach, does such a classy job with this documentary it creates the effect of both sadness and joy in Glenn's grand humanity as well as his family's. Everyone shows their love for Glenn; everyone wants him to stand up to the disease with his down-home sense of humor.

His daughter, Ashley, is by his side at every performance, and when he'd get a little confused, she would somehow steer him on point. She's a sweet girl, and to see her face become a bit strained along with her stage-smile-and manage to keep her dad safe-was quite touching to me. I was also moved by the number of celebrities who were part of this film-if only to remark on how high they held his talent and his tremendous mark on the entertainment history that he truly helped make.

Seeing Paul McCartney rush up to him after Glenn's performance in some city and just say how much he loved one of the songs he had just moved the audience with... and when Campbell stands there not sure what he should say, Paul shakes his hand and says warmly, "I just wanted to tell you how great you sounded!" With that the great Paul takes his leave.

A part of the movie lends itself to pleading for more research on Alzheimer's. We see Glenn, his wife Kim and his daughter Ashley visiting with both Congress folks-Pelosi and Boehmer-sharing Alzheimer woes-and then Ashley-practically in tears before a group of Representatives-- talking about how it feels to slowly lose your dad's love as he forgets your name.

I really can't see how the film could have been much better Even Kim telling how medication had given her husband's libido an ungovernable strength (which she needed to have reduced!) was said with such a soft modesty and humor, no one could say it sounded crass. I strongly urge seeing this movie if you can. My grade for it is a strong EIGHT.

What My Grade Grants

8.) "About as good as it could get."

7.) "Lacking that bit of excellence."

6.) "Somehow it just didn't work well."

5.) "I have to feel bad about it."

4.) "All that work and nothing to show."

Creator of "The Wizard's Outrageous Scheme For Stopping Smoking" Humbler Acts reports one film every week as relaxation from his speaking and writing on stopping smoking through dream use and Seven Forces. He's American, English-educated, residing in St. Louis, MO (USA). He can be reached: humbleracts@aol.com or telephone: 314-574-7681.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Humbler_Acts

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8794532

Movies

0 comments:

Post a Comment